I’m SO EXCITED because I have a couple short stories coming out within the next couple months, and they’re totally different, in different genres, and I love them both, and I’m just so happy I get to share them with you. If you read my newsletter, you already have the basic info. But I thought I might do some highlights for each:
Pale Blue Heart
- This is a sci-fi story! It’s pretty short, like read it in one sitting sort of goodness.
- I want to say this isn’t a romance, because there’s no sexual romance or couple-ness… but I believe romance comes in many different forms, and those don’t have to include traditional romance notions at all. This is about a very close friendship, it’s about loving someone more than yourself, it’s about being there for another person, so for me, it’s sort of a romance.
- The main characters are a human named Breean and an alien named Giselk.
- I can’t think of any trigger warnings except that the story does talk about injuries sustained during races. But as always, please ask me before reading if you have questions or concerns. I’m always happy to talk about that stuff.
- I wrote this because I wanted to see just how far I could take a prompt—the prompt I picked was sports. So this is a totally bizarre, alien racing/sports book. If that sounds like your thing, yay!
- The book is 99 cents! So if you haven’t read my sff stuff and might like to try, you could start here.
- It’ll be out March 29!
Here’s the blurb and the cover:
I ride and he runs. We claw and kick our way to the front, and if we win the race, we patch ourselves up and do it all over again. It’s a means to an end. It’s a living. Giselk and I are partners in this—human and alien, scraping out an existence through a brutal sport, sticking together because we’re all the other has.
But Giselk wants more. He wants to run until we’re at the top. All I want is a way off this planet, a quieter life. I’m afraid the top’s going to break us. But getting out of here doesn’t mean anything if Giselk’s not with me. And if I say no to the races, we might not be a team anymore, on or off the track.
You can pre-order Pale Blue Heart at all the places.
A Love Song for Emily
- This is definitely a romance! A contemporary, to be exact.
- It’s my first m/f! I honestly have never contemplated writing m/f before, but this just kind of… felt like I needed to write it. Our MC, Jamie, is cis, and our love interest, Emily, is trans.
- This is a little lighter and Jamie’s a little goofier than what I usually write. I had SO. MUCH. FUN. writing this.
- This is part of the Escaping Indigo universe. It takes place sometime after Skin Hunger, but the characters are only mentioned in passing, so this definitely stands alone. You don’t need to have read any of the other EI books to read this.
- There aren’t too many trigger warnings, except Jamie does discuss depression a bit, and he’s just gone through a bad breakup. But, as always, please ask me anything.
- This is a novella (so about… 17K words, I think) and it’s only 99 cents. So if you haven’t read any of my other contemporaries and might like to try, this could be a good place to start.
- It’ll be out April 26!
Here’s the blurb and cover:
A cold, icy winter is the least of Arizona born-and-raised Jamie’s problems. He’s moved to a distant college to escape a bad breakup, but it’s not working. He can’t stop thinking about his ex-girlfriend, worrying about the future, and wondering, constantly, what went wrong. All he wants is something that’ll distract him from everything.
Enter Emily, guitarist for Jamie’s favorite up-and-coming band. She’s gorgeous, talented, and one hell of a guitar teacher. Jamie can’t imagine having a conversation with her without tripping over his words, never mind taking music lessons from her. But a friend’s suggestion leads to just that, and Jamie discovers that playing guitar is one of the few things that makes him feel whole again.
Talking to Emily is one of the other things. She’s way more than a distraction—Jamie realizes he’s falling for her, fast. Telling Emily how he feels isn’t simple, though, especially when he’s pretty sure Emily only sees him as another fan. But if he wants to win her heart, he’ll have to come up with something. Maybe if he could just put all that emotion into a song…
I think that covers the news for now! Let me know if you have questions or comments or just want to say hi. I’m just… gahhhhh, so happy that these stories will be out in the world soon, and I hope everyone loves them as much as I do. ❤